Educational and Scientific System
Tomsk is the oldest research and educational center in Asian Russia. Here originated the higher multi-discipline education in Asian Russia: from the Urals to the Pacific Ocean. The largest universities of Tomsk have over age-old history: in 1888 the first university was opened beyond the Urals — the Tomsk Emperor University (at present Tomsk State University); in 1900 — the first technical institute — Technological Institute of the Emperor Nicholas II (at present Tomsk Polytechnic University), in 1902 — the first teachers training institute — Tomsk Teachers Institute (at present Tomsk State Teachers Training University).
Today the Research and Educational Complex of Tomsk Region incorporates:
1. Educational institutions of higher and secondary vocational education:
- 6 state universities with 8 research institutes
- 2 state institutes (Military Medical Institute and Seversk State technological Academy) and 2 non-state universities
- 12 branches of universities of other cities
- over 12 international educational centers
- 23 institutions of secondary vocational education, including 4 non-state institutions and 2 branches of specialized secondary schools of other cities
Approximately 85,000 students (per 500,000 Tomsk citizens) study full and part time in universities of Tomsk Region, as well as in 12 branches and representative offices from other cities. Annually almost 15,700 specialists graduate from Tomsk universities and institutes, including those specializing in the Special Economic Zone areas of activity.
The region implements the National Priority Program «Education».
2. State scientific institutions:
- Tomsk Scientific Center of Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences (SB RAS) incorporates 5 scientific institutes (Institute for Atmospheric Optics; Institute of Strength Physics and Material Science; Institute of High Current Electronics; Institute of Oil Chemistry; Institute of Monitoring of Climatic and Environmental Systems), 1 branch (Tomsk Branch of Institute of Geology of Oil and Gas) and Design Engineering Center
- Tomsk Scientific Center of Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Medical Sciences (TSC SB RAMS) incorporates 6 research institutes with clinics (cardiology; oncology; pharmacology; medical genetics; mental health; obstetrics, gynecology and perinatology), Tomsk Scientific Research Institute for Balneology and Physiotherapy of the Federal Agency for Public Health and Social Development, Center for Orthopedics and Medical Material Technology and the autonomous non-for-profit organization Institute of Microsurgery
- Siberian Scientific Research Institute for Agriculture and Peat of Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Agrarian Sciences
- 1 institute of Russian Academy of Education (RAE) — Institute of Education Development of RAE
- Tomsk Polytechnic University and Tomsk State University were awarded the status of ‘National Research University’
Since 2002 Tomsk Region has been implementing the Regional Strategy of Innovative Development.
In recent years efficient innovative infrastructure focuses on commercialization of scientific development, including:
- special technology development economic zone “Tomsk”,
- 13 commercialization offices for inventions of universities and research institutes,
- 8 business incubators,
- innovation and technology center,
- 6 venture partners of the Seed fund of Russian Venture Company,
- hands-off financing network “business angels”,
- technology transfer center,
- cross-sectoral center for nanotechnology TomskNanoTech,
- Tomsk Special Economic Zone of Technical Innovation Type,
- technological platform “Medicine of the future”
- Tomsk regional engineering center,
- Tomsk regional center of engineering of agroindustrial complex of the Tomsk region,
- Center of cluster development of the Tomsk region,
- Center of innovational product demand stimulation,
- International center of professional engineers certification,
- closed mutual venture investment fund “Regional Venture Fund for Investment in Small R&D Enterprises in Tomsk Region” under the management of ZAO “Management Comapny Monomakh“,
- multidisciplinary center for nanotechnology “Sigma.Tomsk “
- regional innovation portal, innovation press-service,
- consulting firms, working in the field of innovations support and other organizations.
The infrastructure that has been established in the Region ensures stable support for innovative activity, including commercialization of R&D inventions (commercialization offices and technology transfer centers), generation of science-driven business (business incubators and innovation and technology centers), and provision of a wide range of consulting services to active innovative companies (in innovative business). At the session of the Russian President’s Commission for Modernization and Technological Development of the Russian Economy held in Tomsk on February 11, 2010, its members pointed out that Tomsk Region is among the leading Russian regions in terms of innovative potential and availability of appropriate infrastructure for high-technology projects.
A concept of a Federal Center for Education, Research, and Developmentto be established in the region has been developed recently. The Center will unite into a single system the elements of the educational, scientific, and innovative infrastructures functioning in the region. There is an intent to create on the basis of the Center a unique entrepreneurial environment for developing new knowledge and creating a ground for breakthroughs in priority areas of modernization of Russia.