Environmental health, conservation, and biological diversity are in the focus of attention of the legislative and executive authorities of the region.
These issues are tackled in the Region with a strategic planning system within the scope of target-oriented programs. In 2005 Tomsk Region Development Strategy for 2020 was adopted. In 2012 the document was actualized with growth potential through to 2025 in order to make it compliant with Long-term social and economic development of the Russian Federation Concept, national security strategy of the Russian Federation, Strategy of social and economic development of Siberia. The Strategy outlines general environmental goals which are based on the conservation principles:
- Environmental health as a prerequisite for a better quality of life and healthier population;
- Environmental conservation and equal access to natural resources for the present and future generations;
- Public control over environmental decisions.
In general, the environmental situation in the Tomsk region is evaluated as satisfactory.
The results of the environmental monitoring of Tomsk Region and the City of Tomsk and the latest information on the environmental situation in Tomsk are provided on the website of the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection of Tomsk Region.
Specially authorized state services:
- Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection for Tomsk Region;
- Regional State Department “Oblkompriroda”;
- Department on technological, ecological inspection of Rostehnadzor for Tomsk Region;
- Government establishment “Tomsk Center on Hydrometeorology and Environment Monitoring”;
- Territorial Subsoil Use Agency for Tomsk Region;
- Territorial Department of the Federal Service on Control in the Sphere of Consumer Rights and Human Welfare for Tomsk Region;
- Department of the Federal Service for Veterinary and Fytosanitory Control for Tomsk Region;
- Department of Verkhneobskiy basin Management for Tomsk Region;
- Regional State Department “Tomsk management of woods”.
There is a regional coordination ecological council in Tomsk Region.